The use and benefits of a security camera have drastically increased in the past years. It serves as protection for every home, businesses, or any establishment. Using security cameras heightens the defense of any property.
Security camera purchases are already part of any home or business priorities. It is a form of safekeeping the home and its assets against intruders. Thus, monitoring other people like nannies, babysitters, potential break-ins, and the like.
However, as much as there are many advantages to having a security material installed in any part of your home, hiding a camera could be a dilemma for many.
People who can see a camera monitoring them are more likely to put a halt on their foul actions or do it differently than they think would go unnoticed.
If you still want to catch wrongdoings, untrustworthy people and their behaviors, here are some simple hacks you can consider when hiding a camera:
8 Great Tips on how to hide your security camera’s in plain sight!
1. Put a decorative case cover on your camera
If your security camera is exposed outside of the home, you can put a decorative case cover on it.
This way, people will have an impression that it is just an ornamental piece in your house, when in fact, it is already recording them.
This hack can divert attention and record the movement of any potential intruders.
If they do not consider it as a monitoring camera material, then you can see their actual face that you can utilize as evidence against possible intruders.
2. Mount it on some tree or plant branch
Cameras mounted on a tree, or any plant that is covered with leaves or other branches can go unnoticed by intruders.
They usually focus on breaking in through the door or the window and only check the wall or pane for possible cameras.
So, they would not suspect whether security cameras protect your home, then you should mount it somewhere that it is covered while it is also enough to monitor your terrace at the same time.
It is not just for intruders that you can use this covering. You can also use this with your teenagers and check the exact time that they have arrived home. You can also utilize this with your contractors in case you have doubts.
Related Topic: Can Employers Record Audio with a Surveillance Camera?
3. Install it in a higher place
If you want to ensure that nobody will get to have the interest to destroy, uninstall, or steal your security camera, then install it in a high place. This said location should not be reachable by anybody, but should still able to record things that are happening around.
This way, you are sure that your camera is safe, and your household or office is secured from any intruder.
4. Keep it in an enclosure
Whether you will install it outside or inside of your home and office, it is better to put it in an enclosure to hide it in plain sight.
This way, you can also prolong its durability and life as you protect it from different weather or seasons.
Keep it in a tissue box, in an alarm clock, in a pot, or anywhere people would not suspect that it is a camera. Make sure that it can still do the job while it is being kept that way. Check it regularly to see if it is still in its right place.
5. Mount it on the wall
This is the most common location for security cameras.
If you want to make it not that obvious for others, then match the color of the camera with the wall.
Ensure that all screws are correctly installed, so it would be hard to put a dent on the camera or for somebody to steal it.
6. Hide it under the ceiling
The ceiling could be the perfect place to mount your security camera. While it is a high location, most people do not look above when entering any household or establishment.
This way, rest assured that your camera will fulfill its job while you also care for its quality and lifespan.
7. Put it behind any glass window
Businesses, especially banks usually utilize this technique. They go for tinted glass windows and have the camera installed there as well to monitor people who look or act strangely outside the establishment.
This way, you can pre-empt any inappropriate incident to happen.
Moreover, with enough evidence, you can notify the police and the security team about an unusual act you have observed and captured by your security camera.
8. Utilize wireless cameras and blend it with your mount’s texture
If you want the convenience of easily hiding your camera in plain sight, then you must purchase a wireless one.
This way, you would not have any problems regarding an electric outlet, hiding the cables, and the like.
You can easily relocate the camera in your preferred place in case there is a need. Thus, it will also be easier to disguise compared to other wired cameras available in the market.
Challenges in Hiding a camera
Hiding a camera should be well-planned and well-thought out. It is a security requirement that needs a lot of attention and insights. It is the first step towards giving your home or business the full protection that it needs.
Many people might think that hiding a camera is extremely difficult. Of course, there would be challenges, but you should always think of the size, the function, and the color of your security camera as it will still depend on where you prefer to mount it.
Some challenges that you might face are:
- The changes in the weather or any season that may cause damage to your camera.
- Intruders who are experts in breaking in and destroying your security camera.
- Your home or office wi-fi or LAN connection that is used to enable the camera.
- The availability of experts to consult when mounting your camera; and,
- Choosing the best location on where to install it.
These said challenges are easy to address. However, you should consult a CCTV expert whenever you are purchasing a camera. This is so you can be taught of the fundamental steps to do during installation and checking process, and eventually to be trained on how to utilize the said camera.
Security cameras come at different size and prices. Depending on your budget or the level of security you need, there is a right camera for you. If you are buying for a business, a little upgrade in the package would be worth it because it can set alarms, light-up, or even contact you in case of unusual activity.
Why You Should Hide Your Security Camera
Hiding a camera is necessary, especially if you want to protect it from intruders and want to use it as surveillance. This way, you should consider placing it in a location that is safe and goes unnoticed for everyone.
Many people might argue that surveillance cameras and its installation can be a hindrance or a violation of their privacy. Essentially, camera owners should also know the different rights associated with owning a security camera.
No videos or footage should be released without a valid reason and a formal request from any complainant. Snippets recorded by the security camera act as intellectual property that should be kept as confidential as possible. Owners should also know that there is a due process in terms of exposing anyone caught in the footage.
Any unusual activity caught by the camera shall be pitched to the police for formal investigation. As much as possible, delicate issues and other grievances recorded must not be posted on social media without prior examination and advise from the experts.
This way, you are assured that as an owner, you are not violating any rights. More so, in case there are suspicious activities, the police or security agents can revert to it as soon as possible.
Things to Remember When Installing a Camera
In owning a camera and hiding it, you must remember:
- The quality of the camera you are using. Some cameras cannot stand heat and cold weather. If you are installing a camera outside of your property, ensure that you have chosen a camera that is an all-weather type.
- Ask permission. If you live in a building, a condominium, or an apartment, it is advised that you should ask permission from your landlord first before installing a CCTV camera. This way, you are not violating any building rules or regulations.
- Check the type of camera based on your requirements. Not all cameras are the same, to ensure that you have the right conditions in mind before you purchase a security camera.
- Choose wisely. Do not rush into buying a camera. Know each camera wholeheartedly and see its pros and cons. Doing so can prevent you from buying cameras that are not really your type and cannot serve you well in the long run.
- Consider the coverage. If you are choosing a security camera, consider the coverage or the scope that you like for it to cover.
- Select a good brand. Brands offer different price points because of valid reasons. Some do it well than others, and most of the time they have different powerhouse warehouses and quality control. Good brands in the market are sure to deliver an excellent quality product that is surely worthy of your money and effort.
- Ask an expert or a supplier. If you are in doubt with the camera you are trying to get, ask a professional. Suppliers in the CCTV field or security camera companies are trained to answer clients’ questions and are knowledgeable about the various details of any surveillance camera. They are the best people to inquire about security cameras because they know what could be the best one based on your requirement.
Related Topic: 5 Crucial Things You Need to Know about CCTV and DVRs
There are many things that you need to consider when buying and installing a security camera for your property.
However, one thing that you should know about is the factors of how the said camera can serve you better and for an extended period.
If you are to upgrade your home or renovate it, consider how a security camera will be significantly useful for you. This way, you can select the right camera based on those requirements.
As I’ve said, do not rush. If you need to take more time in deciding what to purchase, then do so.
Cameras, especially those for surveillance purposes, do not come cheap. So, it is essential to know its pros and cons and other things it can do that can make your life easier.
Before installation, ensure that you can process all necessary permits for the camera. Such licenses will prevent any problems to occur with your landlord or realtor.
Also, make sure that there are provisions for the camera, primarily for non-wireless ones.
Consider the speed of the internet connection if it is wi-fi powered or LAN connection. This is to guarantee that footages are kept in a good, clear, and bright manner, especially for particular issues needed or required to be solved.
List down at least three great brands and units that you deem will be useful for you. Then compare all those three to see what will stand out best. Doing so can help you filter the ones based on your requirement, budget, preferred model or type.
A security camera is an essential utility for any of your properties. This way, you can assure that whenever you are not around or asleep in your home, you can track what is happening outside.
In selecting a CCTV camera, you must be aware of the specifications you need, as well as the technical aspects. Ensure that you also have a designated laptop or computer that will house the recordings of the surveillance camera you installed in your property.
Always consider the quality of the price it is offered at. Many cameras are way affordable but do not accomplish the job of protecting and recording. Assure that what you select is worth your money.
- Readers Rating
- Rated 5 stars
5 / 5 (Reviewers)
- Your Rating